Saturday, February 14, 2009

New Beginnings

Yesterday I graduated from nursing school with my Associates Degree in Nursing. It has been what feels like a long journey, even though the whole process has taken about 4 years...which is average. I have met extraordinary people and have made 2 wonderful best friends who had better keep in touch.
Here we are in cap and gown, 3 out of 4 from the 2008 LPN class graduating together. Its been a lesson in friendship for me, who has never really had girlfriends outside of elementary school. And I am honored to know these 2.

It was a day of mixed emotions. I was given the award for compassion (which shocked the hell out of me, we weren't told in advance) and had to get up on stage twice. I was just happy I didn't fall on my face, my heels were sooo high. Later while taking pictures with the diploma and award my future FIL noticed that they had misspelled my name on the award. It was to Ashley Crew...sigh. Oh well, they should be able to print me up another one.

On the knitting front I have pictures of the Baby Suprise Jacket before I sewed it up and gave it away

Here it is before, looking like some bizarre knitters version of a sea creature. I knew it would look funky, but was skeptical just the same that this would turn into a sweater.

Yet when I folded it like the diagram indicated, voila! It transformed from odd shaped thingy to totally sweet baby jacket. I was totally impressed and have had to restrain myself from knitting 30 of the things for everyone I know with babies. Makes me want to get the book with all of the sizing options.

And here is February Lady, finally made it through what felt like the endless garter stitch part onto the fun lace part. While doing the final increases across the back and seperating out the sleeves I had an interesting knit experience. I don't know what happened, but I'm going to document it here, maybe someone else will know.
I was instructed to increase x across the whole work (basically), I was to end up with 349 stitches...with me so far? I increased the prescribed number, carefully triple counting to make sure I had done enough. When I counted I had 350 stitches. Easy enough to fix later, just decrease one somewhere and we'll be good. I went on to put the stitches for the sleeves on hold as instructed and was doing fine, they were where they're supposed to be, but when counting stitches after the second sleeve I noticed that I was going to be short. Keep in mind, I started with one extra stitch, now I only have 37 left for the front, and theres supposed to be 40 something.... So now I'm having to increase the stitches that I thought I would have too many of. Did the stitch fairy come and take some away? I am perplexed, but the lace pattern is working out well so I'm not complaining, just confused.
Now I just have to hope that I can finish this beast by next Saturday, we leave for a cruise and I want to be wearing this the first day on board. Fingers crossed, is 6 days enough?

No comments: